Serve up a much-loved family favourite with this pea and ham soup.
The ingredient of Pea & ham soup
- 2.5L (10 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 420g (2 cups) green split peas, rinsed, drained
- 2 large brown onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley stems
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 250g piece lite Virginian ham, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
The instruction how to make Pea & ham soup
- Place the stock, split peas, onions, carrots, parsley stems, garlic and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, almost covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/4 hours or until the peas are mushy. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove the bay leaves. Transfer batches of soup to a blender and blend, holding blender lid on firmly with a tea towel, until smooth. Pour into a clean saucepan.
- Add ham to soup and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley leaves and thyme. Taste and season with salt (if needed) and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Pea & ham soupcalories: 247.604 calories
fatContent: 3 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 32 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 6 grams sugar
proteinContent: 19 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 16 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 1693.65 milligrams sodium